The University of Vienna (15 faculties, 4 centres, about 188 fields of study, approx. 9,700 members of staff, more than 92,000 students) seeks to fill the position as soon as possible of a
University Assistant (“post doc”) at the Department of Education
Identification number of advertisement: 8356
The advertised position is located in the Department of Education of the Faculty of Philosophy and Education. The Department’s main responsibilities lie within the area of research and teaching in the field of Education. Research addresses the description, critical analysis and explanation of phenomena of education and learning in formal and informal contexts. The position is assigned to the field of Foundations of Education (under the direction of Univ. Prof. Dr. Daniel Tröhler) in the Research Group for Educational
Philosophy and Research. We offer the opportunity to research and teach in an internationally networked team while developing your own research profile.
Duration of employment: 4 years
At the end of the four years this post doc position will be converted into a Tenure-Track Position for the field of Foundations of Education to be filled in a new and open procedure.
Extent of Employment: 40 hours/week
Job grading in accordance with collective bargaining agreement: §48 VwGr. B1 lit. b
(postdoc) with relevant work experience determining the assignment to a particular salary
The research unit “Foundations of Education” seeks to examine through an international approach systems of thought as they emerge in different historical, cultural and national contexts. Thereby it analyses the ways in which these systems of thought are related to the curricular construction of the future loyal citizens and their intended role in implementing dominant visions of the ideal social order. Given its international focus, the research unit works in different networks with partners foremost in Scandinavia, Great Britain, Western
Europe, Canada, and the United States.
– The successful candidate will actively participate in research, teaching and administration at the Department of Education in the field of Foundations of Education.
– Supervision of Bachelor and Master theses
– The position can be used for working out topics in the habilitation of the research area or research priorities.
– An international scope in all the research and teaching activities is mandatory.
– Independent teaching of courses as defined by the collective agreement
– Supervision of students
– Participation in evaluation measures and quality assurance
– Involvement in the department administration as well as in teaching and research administration
To be successful, applicants must fulfill the following conditions:
– Excellent PhD in Education or in a discipline relevant to the field of education and its foundations
– relevant international publications and paper presentations
– experience with research management and organisation
– teaching experience
– ability to work as a member of a team
– excellent command of written and spoken English
– knowledge of German language to be able to teach courses and participate in administrative bodies
– Letter of motivation
– Academic curriculum vitae (including a list of publications, a list of courses and a list of talks given and certified copies of academic degrees)
– Description of research interests and research agenda / of the intended habilitation project (if applicable)
– Contact details of people who could provide a letter of reference- letter of motivation
– PhD thesis (pdf)
– two published papers
Your application (between March 1 and 15 2018):
Applications including a letter of motivation (German or English)